Terms of Service
Urban Universities for HEALTH Online Community of Practice Terms of Service
Last Updated: January 29, 2014
Welcome to the Urban Universities for HEALTH Online Community of Practice. This Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) is owned and hosted by iCohere, and licensed to the Association of American Medical Colleges ("AAMC," "we," or "us"). This site provides users with access to a rich collection of resources, including various communications tools, forums, calendaring, document management, and other personalized content (the "Service"). “Content” is defined as any document uploaded to the Service, discussion posts and comments, links to external resources, calendar items, project tasks, announcements, and personal profile information inputted by users of the Service.
These Terms govern your use of the Service, and by registering for and using the Service you indicate that you agree to and accept all of the Terms set forth below. If you do not accept these Terms, you may not access the Service.
By using the Service, you also indicate your understanding that AAMC may revise these Terms from time to time without providing notice to you. Your continued use of the Service after we have revised the Terms will indicate that you accept them as revised. You will be asked to indicate your acceptance to these Terms when registering for the service. We recommend that you review these Terms regularly.
Your Security Obligations Regarding Your Account and Use of This Service
We are concerned about the safety and privacy of all our users. You will receive a password and account designation upon completing the Service's registration process. You are entirely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account and are wholly responsible for any and all activities that occur under your account. You agree to (a) immediately notify the Service administrator of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security, and (b) ensure that you LOGOUT from your account at the end of each session. We will not be liable for any loss that you may incur as result of someone else using your password or account, either with or without your knowledge.
You are responsible for taking all precautions necessary to ensure that any content that you provide to or receive from the sites is free of viruses, worms, or other malware introduced to damage, interfere with, surreptitiously intercept, or expropriate any system data or information.
No Unlawful or Prohibited Use
You agree to not use the Service to:
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- impersonate any person or entity including, but not limited to, an administrator of the site, forum leader, or member, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any Content transmitted through the Service;
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party;
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files, or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software, hardware or telecommunications equipment; or
- upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any Content that contains protected health information, as defined in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). The Service is not intended to collect, store, or secure protected health information.
You are granted a personal, non-transferable and non-exclusive right and license to use the object code of this Service on a single computer; provided that you do not (and do not allow any third party to) copy, modify, create a derivative work of, reverse engineer, reverse assemble or otherwise attempt to discover any source code, sell, assign, sublicense, grant a security interest in or otherwise transfer any right in the Service. You agree not to access the Service by any means other than through the interface that is provided to you for use in accessing the Service.
You acknowledge and agree that we do not pre-screen Content, but that we shall have the right (but not the obligation) in our sole discretion to refuse or move any Content that is available via the Service.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE SHALL HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY CONTENT THAT VIOLATES THESE TERMS OR IS OTHERWISE OBJECTIONABLE.
Disclosure of Content to Third Parties
You acknowledge and agree that we may preserve Content and may also disclose Content if required to by law or in the good faith belief that such preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to a) comply with legal process; b) enforce the terms of service; c) respond to claims that any Content violates the rights of third-parties; or d) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of our site and company, and its users.
You understand that the technical processing and transmission of the Service, including your Content, may involve (a) transmissions over various networks; and (b) changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices. Recognizing the global nature of the Internet, you agree to comply with all local rules regarding online conduct and acceptable Content. Specifically, you agree to comply with all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the United States or the country in which you reside. We do not claim ownership of Content you submit or make available for inclusion on the Service.
Disclaimer, Limitation of Liability, and Indemnification
THIS SERVICE IS PROVIDED TO YOU ON AN "AS IS", "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. AAMC (INCLUSIVE OF ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES, AFFILIATES, OR ANY OTHER PERSONS INVOLVED IN CREATING, PRODUCING, OR MAKING CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICE) DOES NOT MAKE AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES REGARDING THIS SERVICE AND ITS CONTENTS. FURTHER, ANY DATA OR INFORMATION PROVIDED BY OR THROUGH THIS SERVICE ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND AS TO COMPLETENESS OR ACCURACY. AAMC, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES REGARDING ACCURACY, TIMELINESS, COMPLETENESS, NONINFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THIS SERVICE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK.
YOU RELEASE AAMC FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY FOR INACCURATE OR INCOMPLETE DATA OR INFORMATION. IN NO EVENT SHALL AAMC BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY CLAIM WHATSOEVER ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO YOUR USE OF THIS SERVICE OR ANY CONTENT, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF, OR IN CONNECTION WITH, THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SERVICE AND ITS CONTENT.
CERTAIN STATE LAWS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES. IF THESE LAWS APPLY TO YOU, SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE DISCLAIMERS, EXCLUSIONS, OR LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU AND YOU MIGHT HAVE ADDITIONAL RIGHTS.
YOU AGREE TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD US, AND OUR SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, OFFICERS, AGENTS, CO-BRANDERS OR OTHER PARTNERS, AND EMPLOYEES, HARMLESS FROM ANY CLAIM OR DEMAND, INCLUDING ATTORNEY'S FEES, MADE BY ANY THIRD PARTY DUE TO OR ARISING OUT OF CONTENT YOU SUBMIT, POST, TRANSMIT, OR MAKE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICE, YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE, YOUR CONNECTION TO THE SERVICE, YOUR VIOLATION OF THESE TERMS OF SERVICE, OR YOUR VIOLATION OF ANY RIGHTS OF ANOTHER.
You acknowledge and agree that we may establish general practices and limits concerning use of the Service, including without limitation the maximum number of days that email messages, discussion board postings or other uploaded Content will be retained by the Service, the maximum number of email messages that may be sent from or received by an account on the Service, the maximum size of any email message that may be sent from or received by an account on the Service, the maximum disk space that will be allotted on our servers, and the maximum number of times (and the maximum duration for which) you may access the Service in a given period of time. You acknowledge that we reserve the right to log off accounts that are inactive for an extended period of time. You further acknowledge that we reserve the right to change these general practices and limits at any time, in our sole discretion, with or without notice.
WE SHALL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR THE DELETION OR FAILURE TO STORE ANY MESSAGES AND OTHER COMMUNICATIONS OR OTHER CONTENT MAINTAINED OR TRANSMITTED BY THE SERVICE.
Links to Third Party Sites
The Service may provide, or third parties may provide, links to other World Wide Web sites or resources. Because we have no control over such sites and resources, you acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources, and do not endorse and are not responsible or liable for any Content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such sites or resources. You further acknowledge and agree that we shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such Content, goods or services available on or through any such site or resource. The inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by AAMC of the third party web site.
Suspension or Termination of Access
You understand that we reserve the right to suspend or terminate accounts (including terminating a user name and password), to remove and discard any Content within the Service, and to block access to the Service for any reason including, but not limited to, a violation of the letter or spirit of these terms, lack of use, or c) conduct which we determine, in our sole discretion, is inappropriate. You understand that access may be suspended or terminated at any time, with or without notice.
Suspected Copyright Infringement
If you believe that your rights under copyright law are being infringed by the uploading, posting, display or other distribution of your copyrighted content to the Service, please provide us with a written, signed notice of the alleged infringement. To be effective, your notice must made in writing and include the following information:
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work or work(s) you claim have been infringed, and a description of the activity you claim to be infringing or if multiple works on this site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at this site;
- Identification of where the material or activity you claim to be infringing is located or is occurring. You must include enough information to allow us to locate the material or activity, such as the URL or description of the location of the material;
- Your name, address, telephone number, and, if available, an email address at which we may contact you;
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that use of the work on the AAMC Web site in the manner of which you are complaining is not authorized by the copyright owner, any agent of the copyright owner, or the law; and
- A statement, made by you under penalty of perjury, that the information you have provided in your notice is accurate and that you are either the copyright owner or are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
Your notice to us must be sent to:
Association of American Medical Colleges
Attn: Chief Legal Officer – DMCA
2450 N Street, NW,
Washington, DC 20037-1126
If you would like to publish information that you find on this Service or on our web site, please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about using the Urban Universities for HEALTH logo is also available upon request.
Choice of Law, Choice of Forum, and Severability
You agree that these Terms will be governed by the laws of the District of Columbia, without regard to its conflicts of law rules, and that any litigation regarding compliance with these Terms or your use of our sites will be brought in the courts of the District of Columbia. If any provision of these Terms is held to be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable then that provision shall be deemed severable from the Terms and shall not affect the enforceability of any remaining provisions.
If you have any questions about these Terms, please contact email@example.com.